Immediately following an auto accident, your first thoughts flash to your safety, that of your passengers, and the condition of your car. Sadly, other distractions come into play that you must deal with, from insurance claims to impaired drivers. If you feel as though another party wronged you in some way, causing your injuries as a result of a car accident, hiring an auto injury attorney may be yet another task you have to tackle. No one wants to even be in this situation in the first place. The last thing on your mind is money, as you try to heal and return to normal.
Seek Out a Trusted Resource
If there is an attorney who has represented you in the past, it’s wise to keep his or her business card handy such as in your glove compartment or your wallet. You really never know when you will need access to someone you can trust – fast. That way, if you are involved in a car accident, you can inform the office that you require legal assistance in a timely manner. Having a dependable and experienced auto injury attorney ready to fight for you can be comforting.
Create a List of Questions
If you don’t already have an attorney in your corner, you’ll need to find one. That means you have to do some research. Most lawyers offer a free initial consultation, during which you can ask questions. Create this list ahead of time so you don’t miss anything. Outline the details of your auto accident and keep notes.
Inquire About Background
Ask about education and professional experience. Some good questions to ask include:
- For how many years have you practiced personal injury law?
- How much of your practice is made up of auto accident claims?
- How many car accident victims do you represent annually?
- How many do you settle? How many go to trial?
- What is your success rate?
- Do you frequently handle cases similar to mine?
- Where did you attend law school?
- How many years have you been in business?
- Are you a member of any bar associations or professional organizations?
- Have you represented victims of auto accidents who suffer from injuries like mine, such as back and neck injuries, TBIs and any other injuries that may result in long-term medical issues?
Don’t be afraid to ask all of these questions. The answers you receive will allow you to make the most informed decision possible in hiring an auto accident attorney to handle your case – and indeed your future.
Inquire About Case Assessment
After discussing the details of your case, ask the lawyer what his or her opinion of your case is.
- What is your assessment of my case?
- What kind of financial settlement can I realistically expect?
- What are some of the factors that work in my favor? What factors work against me?
- Do you think we will have to go to trial?
- Do you think arbitration or mediation is a better option?
- How long do you expect my case to take?
No matter how good your lawyer is, sometimes the answers to these questions just can’t be said with certainty. However, good auto injury attorneys should be able to give you estimates based on their knowledge, experience, skill and nature of similar cases.
Once you have secured representation, do your part to ensure a successful claims process. That includes showing up to all appointments with your lawyer and doctor, keeping all documents pertaining to your case organized, and answering letters and phone calls regarding your case promptly. Follow the instructions of your lawyers and doctors, show up on time, and be respectful in all meetings with other lawyers and the judge.
Doing your part in the matter can contribute to a seamless process with a successful outcome.
Contact Kuzyk Law
Don’t let the aftermath and confusion of an auto accident cloud your better judgment of calling an auto accident injury attorney sooner rather than later. We are here for you whenever you need us. Call us for more information.